Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The End is Now

Sitting in the hospital surrounded by blue and teddy bears, I couldn’t imagine why anyone wouldn’t want a dozen of these amazing bundles of joy.

Then, fast forward two years…“NO!” “I will NOT!”

As I stand staring at my bright-eyed angel flailing about on the floor in a fit of passion, I’m baffled how it all came down to this.  What happened to the coos and cuddles?  When did the giggles and drool turn into willful defiance and stubborn disobedience?

Lost in the daily routine of “making it through the day”, I missed the bigger picture.  I have a mission to send a responsible citizen into the world to fight for justice with moral character and a purpose higher than himself. 

So how does my wild, undisciplined toddler become that solid, world-changing adult? 

It starts today.  I must manage everyday with the end in sight.

Who do I want my little man to be?  What kind of character do I want him to have the day he walks out of my care? 

Do I want him to stand for truth?  Then starting today I must demonstrate truth in everything I do.  No longer is it good enough to parent the behavior.  I need to parent the heart. 

Seek out those who have gone down this road before us.  Educate yourself on child development and become passionate about raising the next generation.  The worst thing you can do for your heritage is to “wing it”. 

Be encouraged and master each day, for the end is now.

"Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a reward from him".  Ps. 127:3 (NLT)